Daisy Hill State School was first established as Slacks Creek State School.
Slacks Creek School has operated from numerous locations
including the provisional school which operated from 1873 from the original
Wesleyan Church located in Centenary Road. Messrs, Shailer and Markwell ran the
school committee and the first teacher was Mr Beach who transferred from Eight
Mile Plains. By 1878, Francis Shailer was teaching at the school. Following a
falling out with some of the locals, the church steward Thomas Armstrong,
refused to allow the school to continue in that location and a site for a new
provisional school was chosen in Loganlea Road. This site was on the western
side of the road between the creek and Loganlea Road. The site was gazetted in
The Slacks Creek Provisional School was subject to much
local flooding and by the end of 1893, the school and teacher's residence had
been moved to a flood free location on the Logan Road (Pacific Highway) near
the intersection with Daisy Hill Road. It was moved again in 1964 when the
ever-increasing traffic on the Pacific Highway made it a less than ideal site
for a school.
Slacks Creek originally encompassed both sides of the
Pacific Highway but in May 2002, the boundaries were altered so that the suburb
was located only on the south side of the highway. The Slacks Creek Progress
Association had lobbied for many years for the retention of the area containing
the school, but it is now in the locality of Daisy Hill.
The school community of Slacks Creek State School, after
much consultation, applied to the Qld Dept. of Education and Training – State Schooling
and the Minister of Education in 2015 to change the name of the school to
reflect its current location in Daisy Hill.
The school name was officially changed to Daisy Hill State School in October 2016.